You Are Here
In 1988, Saints Peter & Paul School earned accreditation status through the Minnesota Nonpublic School Accreditation Association. Every seven years the school takes part in a vigorous re-accreditation process.
Until 1990, Saints Peter & Paul had a Grade 1-6 program. At that time, the school board found it beneficial to add a Kindergarten program. The existing stage was converted into two rooms - a third grade classroom as well as a computer lab. Our first kindergarten class started in the 1991-92 school year with 12 students.
Our public school district changed the configuration of the Middle School in the fall of 2011 adding Grade 6 to the existing Grade 7 and 8th structure. At that time the Saints Peter & Paul School program changed as well. Because of additional classroom space, once occupied by sixth grade, the school was able to add a preschool program. We are excited about our preschool program for three and four year old children and have seen an increase in enrollment in this program.
Our Mission and Philosophy
Saints Peter & Paul parishioners have supported Catholic education since the beginning of the parish. Early church services were held in the homes of parishioners, and as early as 1860, the old log church building-the the original Saints Peter & Paul Church-was used as a school until it burned down in 1867. Although the school was a public school, the parish dictated its policies. Everyone referred to the school as Saints Peter & Paul School rather than the District No. 20 school. A new school was built in 1867 and was used as an education facility until 1989 when another new school was constructed.
In 1906, the Benedictine Sisters came to teach in the school although it remained a public school until 1951. Our present facility was constructed in 1959. It serves a dual function as a Catholic School and Parish Center. In the early 1970s, the Benedictine community was faced with a shortage of teaching sisters. At that time the faculty make-up of Saints Peter & Paul School changed considerably. A group of lay teachers, under the direction of a Benedictine Principal, continued to share the spirit of our Catholic faith. In 1985-1986, a lay principal was employed for the first time in the history of Saints Peter & Paul School. Today the school staff works hard to continue the Benedictine tradition.